In Aubiac, discover the romanesque church Ste Marie built in the 9th and 10th centuries, the castle (14th century) and the mills!
Located on the ancient Roman road known as “la Clermontoise”, which ran from Bordeaux to Lyon, the city of Castelsagrat had to undergo great invasions until the end of the Middle Ages. The discovery of a Visigothic tomb proves the occupation of the land in the 5th and 6th centuries by the Visigoths ...
This chapel of the village of Saint-Urcisse stands at the crossing of two very busy roads, the Clermontoise, running from the Massif Central to the Garonne valley, and the Ténarèze, coming from the Pyrenees, a cattle road, or « draille ».
The parish church, Our Lady of Grand Castel (Notre-Dame du Grand Castel), sometimes called Our Lady of the Assumption, was built in 1247 in the parish of Saint Seurin, at the same time as the creation of the bastide of Puymirol.
The primitive construction seems to date back to the eleventh century. There remains from this period the choir covered with a dome on pendants and the apse in the bottom of the oven.
This parish church of Saint-Pierre es Liens d'Engayrac has the particularity of having a sanctuary that is narrower than the nave, consisting of an apse and a bay surmounted by a square tower (former bell tower).
Dedicated to Saint Roman, holy martyr persecuted and killed in Rome in 258, the usual name of this church is Saint Romain.
This church, imposing with its large wall belfry, dates from the beginning of the 16th century.
The church of Sainte Croix de Punéjols is located in the village of Saint-Urcisse, not far from the chapel of Notre Dame d'Aureillac.
This chapel, dating from the 11th and 12th centuries, retains two Romanesque features: the north wall and the massive square tower that houses the bells.
The name of Combebonnet appears for the first time in a 13th century document in which the noble knight Jourdain de Combebonnet is cited in an arbitration award rendered in May 1255, in Mézin, following a war between Odon, viscount of Lomagne , and Guiralt, Count of Armagnac.
Built on the edge of a deep and cool valley, the Château de Combebonnet, seen from the east and south, has the fresh air with its superimposed terraces and corbelled watchtowers.
Credits and bibliography
- Photographic credits: G. Goudezeune unless otherwise specified
- Etudes sur l’architecture religieuse de l’agenais du Xe au XVIe siècle, G. Tholin, 1874
- Supplément aux Etudes sur l’architecture religieuse de l’agenais du Xe au XVIe siècle, G. Tholin, 1883
- J. R. Marboutin, Le château de Combebonnet, p. 481, Revue de l’Agenais, 1909, Vol. 36