This chapel of the village of Saint-Urcisse stands at the crossing of two very busy roads, the Clermontoise, running from the Massif Central to the Garonne valley, and the Ténarèze, coming from the Pyrenees, a cattle road, or « draille ».
The parish church, Our Lady of Grand Castel (Notre-Dame du Grand Castel), sometimes called Our Lady of the Assumption, was built in 1247 in the parish of Saint Seurin, at the same time as the creation of the bastide of Puymirol.
This is the parish church of Saint Maurin. It is situated on a level outcrop where its bell tower was able to play a defensive role. During the Hundred Years’ War, the original parish church was burnt and destroyed in 1356 by the Black Prince’s men. The church was rebuilt in 1525. This date accounts for its flamboyant ogival style.
The parish was a dependency of the Cauzac priory. In 1253 the rights of the Saint Maurin abbey over Saint Sixte and its annexe, Gandaille, were recognised by Guillaume, bishop of Agen.