This chapel of the village of Saint-Urcisse stands at the crossing of two very busy roads, the Clermontoise, running from the Massif Central to the Garonne valley, and the Ténarèze, coming from the Pyrenees, a cattle road, or « draille ».
The church of Sainte Croix de Punéjols is located in the village of Saint-Urcisse, not far from the chapel of Notre Dame d’Aureillac.
This chapel, dating from the 11th and 12th centuries, retains two Romanesque features: the north wall and the massive square tower that houses the bells.
This church gave its name to the village, which was originally called Saisimentum. It was not until later that the name “Saint Urcisse” was chosen.
Dedicated to Saint Roman, holy martyr persecuted and killed in Rome in 258, the usual name of this church is Saint Romain.
This church, imposing with its large wall belfry, dates from the beginning of the 16th century.
Our project the Cluniac footpaths of Pays de Serres is a winner of the 2022 edition of the Lot et Garonne participatory budget!
A village that has existed since antiquity according to some archaeological evidence, Moirax was a stopover for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela during the Middle Ages. In the 11th century, in 1049, one of the first Cluniac abbeys was founded here.
It became the Cluniac priory of Sainte-Marie and its church is now dedicated to Notre-Dame de Moirax.